The course will take into account the main theories of thinking and reasoning including logic, probabilistic and analogical reasoning. An important part of the course will be dedicated to the study of research on Problem Solving and Decision Making, with the reference to theories and models of insight and judgmental biases. The teaching has the following specific educational objects:
- to acquire the historical frame of reference and its constructs referring to the main theories and experimental research within which the Psychology of Thinking and Reasoning is developed;
- to acquire knowledge and comprehension of the terms relating to two main research field: one concerns Decision Making and the other refers to Problem Solving.
The course consists of a detailed and critical dissertation of the following topics:
1. the main theories of the Psychology of Thinking and Reasoning:
- the Behaviorism Theory,
- The Gestalt Theory,
- The “Human Information Processing” theoretical prospective,
- Contemporary Cognitive Sciences.
2. Reasoning processes and their functioning:
- inductive reasoning, deductive reasoning and their biases,
- decision making and various approaches used to study the decisional processes,
- problem solving with particular reference to the distinction between insight and non insight,
- mental simulation and counterfactual thinking,
- the relation between thinking and emotions
Teaching will be take place through lectures, supported with slides, presenting the topics. The professor will provide research articles that will be read and commented during lectures. Furthermore, there will be room for classroom discussion so that students can acquire a critical knowledge of the proposed topics and competencies related to the consultation and use of the University databases.
|Girotto, V.||Introduzione alla psicologia del pensiero||Il Mulino||2013|
The education objectives will be verified by means an oral test (both for attending and non-attending students) in which the study of textbook will be assessed. Students will also have the opportunity to integrate the exam studying in deep one of the topics of the course by writing and discussing a written composition.
Lungadige Porta Vittoria, 17
VAT number 01541040232
Italian Fiscal Code 93009870234
© 2021 | Verona University | Credits