The course aims to achieve base concepts of statistical theory applied on psychological research. This course communicates the underlying statistical methods used in the analysis of psychological data. It presents the basic concepts and assumptions of statistical theory applied in the logical development of statistical inferences. The pedagogical focus is on statistical reasoning, interpretation, and decision making. Descriptive and inferential statistics are covered. Emphasis is on the interpretation of statistics in psychological work research, literature, and evaluation. Computer applications using statistical software are performed.
- Hypothesis testing: an introduction. Large-sample test of the mean
- One population tests. Hypothesis test of the mean: small sample. Hypothesis test of a single variance. Hypothesis test of a single proportion. Confidence intervals.
- Comparing two populations. Large-sample tests of the difference in two population means. Small-sample tests of the difference in two population means (dependent and independent samples). Test of the difference in two population proportions. Test of the difference in two population variances.
- Experimental design and ANOVA. Analysis of data from one-way designs.
- Analysis of Data from Two-Way Designs. Factorial designs. Other Types of Experimental Designs.
- Correlation and regression. Regression analysis. The simple linear regression model.
- Regression analysis. Multiple regression models.
- Factor analysis.
- The Analysis of Qualitative Data. Test for Goodness of Fit. Test for Equality of Proportions. Chi-Square Test for Independence.
1) Marilyn K. Pelosi e Theresa M. Sandifer (2005), Introduzione alla statistica, McGraw-Hill, Milano: capp. from 7 to 12. (Elementary Statistics: From Discovery to Decision. http://eu.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-0471267228.html)
2) New or different readings may be assigned during the course (notices will be given in professor home page http://www.dpac.univr.it/dol/main?ent=persona&id=2526)
Written test with multiple choice items, in computer room. Consulting textbooks and computer is permitted.
Lungadige Porta Vittoria, 17
VAT number 01541040232
Italian Fiscal Code 93009870234
© 2020 | Verona University | Credits