The course aims at helping students to improve, consolidate and further develop their competence in English, particularly with reference to the four basic skills (reading, writing, listening, and speaking) within the context of the language of news, advertising, and politics.
Contents of the course:
1. improvement of the students’ skills of understanding and writing journalistic texts (special attention will be given to editorials and reports);
2. explanation of the main phonetic symbols (IPA alphabet);
3. explanation of English word-formation rules, with special reference to the affixes most frequently exploited in newspaper writing, in the language of advertising and in that of politics;
4. analysis of English TV programmes, mostly news reports;
5. illustration and evaluation of internet sites to be accessed in order to select:
a) updated articles and documents (pertaining to the language of news, advertising, and politics);
b) on-line dictionaries and grammar books;
c) further linguistic exercises.
NB: Pre-requisites: B1 (intermediate) level of competence (according to the European framework).
Written test divided into four sections:
1. `Contents and lexicon’
2. `Textual analysis’
Lungadige Porta Vittoria, 17
VAT number 01541040232
Italian Fiscal Code 93009870234
© 2019 | Verona University | Credits