This course is based on two strictly related paths. On the one hand, the basic concepts, the main theories, schools and methods of the social geography will be discussed. On the other, the fundamental themes of contemporary social geography will be provided. In particular, such topics will concern: the spatial impacts of globalization, the social transformations of urban spaces, and the effects of social and migration dynamics in Italian and African territories.
The course aims to develop a reflection on the spatial dimension characterizing social facts and social phenomena that are interesting to social work at high level.
The purpose is to provide a contribution to the professional training of social work assistants, in the complexity of contemporary society.
The theoretical analysis will be supported by case studies, in particular it will be focused on the knowledge of some specific topics in West Africa.
1- KNOWLEDGE AND UNDERSTANDING
-Knowledge and understanding of basic concepts, theories and methodologies of social geography, finalized to the critical reflection on specific social problems.
-Knowledge and understanding of the main issues of contemporary society in a socio-spatial perspective, finalized to the reflection on the dynamics in which social services are involved.
2. APPLYING KNOWLEDGE AND UNDERSTANDING
- to choose correctly the concepts in the contemporary narration of community-society-territory relationship
- to be able to know contemporary facts and phenomena from a geographical point of view, in different scales.
- to be able to use specific terms related to the geography useful to social work.
- to be able to find territorial factors involved in development of efficacy and efficiency of social services.
- The theoretical bases and the methodologies of social geography
- Urban space and related problems
- The cultural and social factors in the construction of territories and migrations spaces
- Case studies
High interactive lessons, group work (When necessary, materials will be provided during the lessons and/or in pdf), expert meeting, case reports, visual analysis, specific excursion (if possible)
- Bianchetti A., Guaran A.(a cura di), Sguardi sul mondo. Letture di Geografia sociale, Bologna, Pàtron,2014.
- Gamberoni E., Pistocchi F., L’Africa occidentale. Ritratto di un’Africa che cambia, Bologna, Pàtron, 2013.
|GAMBERONI E., PISTOCCHI F.,||L’Africa occidentale. Ritratto di un’Africa che cambia||PATRON, Bologna||2013|
|BIANCHETTI A., GUARAN, A. (a cura di)||Sguardi sul mondo. Letture di Geografia sociale||PATRON, Bologna,||2014|
Written exam (open questions and multiple choice questions). The evaluation is on scale of 30. It will consider: knowledge, ability to communicate clearly, proper use of geographical terms, spelling and syntax.