• Giving basic conceptual tools in order to frame individual behaviour within cultural dynamics.
• To go in depth with psychological theories dealing with the relationship between culture, self and social processes, from a non-reductionist point of view.
• Analysing culture, psychological processes and social dynamic in the context of educational professional environment.
The main theoretical perspectives in the field of culture and psychology will be presented: cross-cultural, cultural psychology, ethnopsychiatry. Specific contents will be self/other definition, affiliation needs and self-determination, communication processes in multicultural contexts.
Special attention will be given to concepts such as health, illness, well-being, care, from a cultural perspective.
Finally, the theoretical level will be used to read phenomena characterising contemporary society including migration, multiculturalism and the current social changes, especially those which mostly affect the educational work.
1) Hogg M., Vaughan M., (2016), Psicologia sociale. Teorie e applicazioni, 2° edizione, Pearson, Milano.
2) Inghilleri P., (a cura di) (2009), Psicologia culturale, Raffaello Cortina, Milano.
3) Aime M., Pietropolli Charmet G., (2014), La fatica di diventare grandi. La scomparsa dei riti di passaggio, Einaudi, Torino.
Chapters: Parte prima I,II,III,IV,V. Parte seconda: III.
4) A written summary of one of the following books:
Ranchetti G., (2015), Il percorso identitario degli adolescenti di origine straniera. Tra culture affettive e diversità culturali, Franco Angeli, Milano.
Ferrari F., (2015), La famiglia inattesa. I genitori omosessuali e i loro figli, Mimesis, Milano.
Bertell L., (2016), Lavoro ecoautonomo. Dalla sostenibilità del lavoro alla praticabilità della vita, Elèuthera, Milano.
The final test for foreigner students is always oral. It concerns texts at points 1,2,3.
The text number 4) must be reported in the form of a summary (it can be written in English). For instructions about the summary please click on "teaching aids".
The summary must be sent to the teacher by email (email@example.com) not later than 1o days before the date of the exam. Works sent later will not be evaluated.
The evaluation will be based on: knowledge of concepts and scientific literature as mentioned in the texts; capacity of critical reasoning and developing connections among the concepts.
Office hours will be published monthly in the "Announcements" section.