The course general formative object aims to make the social helper understand the importance of a professional pedagogic formation, particularly related to adult life and its existential dynamics.
The centrality of adult life not only comes from the difficult situations and troubles which characterize adult people, but it is also due to the fact that the social helper, working with children (Italian or foreigner) or with elderly people, is always in contact with adults – in the role of parents or children.
In the first specific formative object, the student is required to “know”: the meaning of being adult, the periods of adult life and their evolution during the centuries, with particular reference to the problem of “life specific key passages” and of their critic implications: at the end of the course that knowledge will let the student easily understand why there are adults who live in difficult situations.
The second formative object is “operative”: at the end of the course the student will be able to plan new ways of dialogue with adults, following methodologies that are suitable to their situations.
The third object is one of formative type: at the end of the course the student will have developed the knowledge referring to the interior dimension of adult life, being aware it can be a propitious site where one can activate processes of self-care and of changing.
The forth specific formative object is one of cognitive type: at the end of the course the student will be able to comprehend the pedagogic dimension within the social work
The course will deal with the following topics:
- the pedagogic dimension of the social work;
- Adult life as a problem;
- Who the adults are: theories and existential analysis;
- Experiences of human frailty, suffering and discomfort lived by adults;
- Becoming adult: an ever identical and different path;
- Adult life and maturity: experience of maturation in life;
- Looking for identity: the part of interior life;
- Educational plans with adults having problems.
Texts for exam
Mandatory for everybody:
- D. Loro, Lavorare con gli adulti. Aspetti pedagogici nella professione dell'assistente sociale. Dispensa 2015-2016 (la dispensa sarà disponibile a fine corso presso la Cartoleria Ateneo, Lungadige Porta Vittoria, 37. www.ateneovr.it ).
- E. Borgna, La fragilità che è in noi, Torino, ed. Einaudi, 2014.
For the completion of the preparation of the exam is possible to choose one of these books:
- M. Augé, Diario di un senza fissa dimora. Etnofiction, Milano, ed. RaffaelloCortina, 2011.
- M. Augé, Il tempo senza età. La vecchiaia non esiste, Milano, ed. Raffaello Cortina, 2014.
Lessons will be frontal in the main, with the possibility to intervene with questions and short debates related to the themes of the day.
The exam consists of a three-hour written text. It consists of 6 open questions, of different types: : descriptive (to show the knowledge of the contents), argumentative (to show the capacity of reflection and associating concepts),applicable (to show the ability of concrete and active thinking on the theoretical contents).
The capacity of efficient communication will be also evaluated by the quality of the written task, which must be correct both grammatically and graphically.
Each year the programme of the course is updated in its fundamental contents, compared to the earlier years, so, it is scientifically and didactically correct that students enrolled in previous years prepare their exams on the programme of the current academic year, except for those who previously communicate to the teacher their serious reasons for not doing so.