The course aims:
- to develop in students a body of knowledge and critical understanding of the research process in psychology, in particular with regard to research methodology and various quantitative and qualitative research methods;
- to equip students with a range of secondary research skills required to critically examine and appraise published research articles, especially concerning training processes;
- to enable students to plan, conduct, present and critically evaluate a Research Project meeting the standards of professional research.
From theories to hypotheses: the birth of a research; the experimental model; the experimental designs and the question of the control; alternative strategies to experimental methods; the validity of a psychological research; measurement in psychology and psychological testing; the data collection; the data analysis; from laboratory to field, from quantity to quality; the communication of the results; research in organizational psychology.
Textbooks for the examination
1. Di Nuovo S., Hichy Z. (2007) Metodologia della ricerca psicosociale, Il Mulino, Bologna.
2. Sartori, R. (2009) Psicologia Psicometrica, LED, Milano.
3. Lucidi, F., Alivernini, F., Pedon, A. (2008) Metodologia della ricerca qualitativa (chapters: 1, 2, 3, 5, 6).
For oral examination, one of the following proposals:
1. Poncheri, R., Lindberg, J. T., Thompson, L. F., & Surface, E. A. (2008). A comment on employee surveys: Negativity bias in open-ended responses. Organizational Research Methods,11, 614-630.
2. Rousseau C; Benoit M; Gauthier M; Lacroix L; Alain N; Rojas MV; Moran A; Bourassa D. (2007), Classroom Drama Therapy Program for Immigrant and Refugee Adolescents: A Pilot Study, Clinical Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 12, 451-465.
3. Probst, T.M. (2004). Safety and insecurity: Exploring the moderating effect of organizational safety climate. Journal of Occupational Health Psychology, 9, 3–10.
4. Rousseau, V., Salek, S., Aubé, C. et Morin, E.M. (2009). Distributive justice, procedural justice, and psychological distress: The moderating effect of coworker support and work autonomy. Journal of Occupational Health Psychology, 14, 305-317.
The exam is in two stages. Part I is a written multiple choice examination, and Part II is an oral examination, only for the students who pass Part I.
Textbooks for Part I:
- Di Nuovo S., Hichy Z. (2007) Metodologia della ricerca psicosociale, Il Mulino, Bologna.
- Sartori, R. (2009) Psicologia Psicometrica, LED, Milano.
- Lucidi, F., Alivernini, F., Pedon, A. (2008) Metodologia della ricerca qualitativa (chapters: 1, 2, 3, 5, 6)
The oral part (Part II) will deal with the article chosen among the ones indicate above (see attachments)